Monday, February 28, 2011

Humor and it's benefit

Society promotes always doing the right thing. We base, or most of us base our doings on that idea. We try to be polite; we try to be correct; we try not to be offensive. Things that we do but don't know why we do it. Things that we assume to be good. And to me, a humorist is that little voice that asks why to all the little and insignificant things in my life that I do without knowing why. Alain de Botton argues that humorist's job is not merely to entertain but “to convey with impunity messages that might be dangerous or impossible to state directly.” Society allows humorist to say what they want to say because they do it in a way that makes you question his attitude towards it. Due to the way humorist presents himself, it becomes hard for people to take it seriously. Humorist, plays the character between right and wrong; They say things that societies ignores. Which is why humorist is not seen as rude but honest.
I remember the first time I saw Dave Chapelle on youtube. I think he was speaking about the. I laughed and laughed until I was out of breath. It became addictive. I watched until there was no more videos to watch. It wasn't until I ran out of things to watch did I realize why I was so into his shows and why it made me laugh so hard. He spoke about the everyday things that people do without a reason. The things society teaches you to do. Things you often wonder why but you never proceed to find out. He occasionally mocks the way society is. He teaches people about stereotypes by making fun of it. None of which is illegal but all of them are offensive. Offensive because it is true. And not everyone in this world could handle being offended. Therefore I, and I believe many others respect humorists for their - crudely states – balls
It isn't the jokes that make them so interesting though. Everyone thinks about the things humorist says. They think about it and they often question it. People do think about the. But no one has the ''balls” to say it. No one wants to point out the stupid things we do in life. Yes, humorist serves a vital function in society but not necessarily for the issues they point out but rather for their attitude towards such issues. The care free and happy-go-lucky attitude they have about things such as racism and sexism helps people bond together in a unique way. Thus through a show they learn about each other and become more acceptable through laughters.

No comments: